Here is another wonderful recipe from my lovely friend: Ali at Over a Cuppa. Ali is always creating great family recipes that are full of fiddly ingredients and are quick and easy to create. So please pop over and have a look at her other recipes.
Today’s quick and easy recipe is:
Mixed up Moussaka
- 500g Mincemeat (beef, lamb or swap for veggie with Quorn)
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 courgette halved lengthways and chopped
- 1 Aubergine chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped
- 500g Pasatta
- Fresh herbs I used oregano, marjoram and fresh bay leaves which I have in the garden. Use dried is you haven’t got any fresh. Though fresh parsley added with dry would maintain a fresh taste!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tsp of honey or sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- a little salt
For the topping:
- 3 slices of bread made into bread crumbs (I used gluten-free bread)
- Fresh herbs add when making bread crumbs (optional)
- 1 ball of mozzarella (I used light)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and cooked till going transparent then add the pepper, courgette and Aubergine. Cook for 10 minutes or until all softening nicely.
- Add your choice of minced meat or Quorn and the garlic. Cooked until the meat is cooked and as per instruction with the Quorn.
- Add the herbs and seasoning and cook for a further 2 minutes. I always like cooking in the flavour of seasoning especially if using dry herbs before adding any liquid.
- Add your pasatta, honey or sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Leave to cook on a low heat for about 25-30 minutes, stir occasionally.
Transfer to an oven proof dish and pour in.
- Top with the breadcrumbs, scatter torn bits of mozzarella over the top and season with some black pepper.
- Pop under a medium grill until the cheese is melting. Alternatively pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes, which is what I did whilst I cooked some garlic bread to go with it.